25 March 2007

Well, there will be no PhD for me. At least not in four years. At least not from the University at Albany. Oh well. I expected to be more disappointed about this, the assurance that my application was given careful consideration but was "not among those selected...from the group of very competitive applicants."

It definitely helped that Andrea was here when I opened it, there was no time for self-pity, with her help (and a little pinot noir) I was able to jump right to looking at other possibilities. I hope there won't be a backlash some time next week.

I had all of these smart things to say about this, but now it seems kind of pathetic. I have no choice but to move on. I would have liked to have been the one to say no, but I wasn't. It was the only school I applied to to.

If I hadn't been so damn sure of myself I could have already done all of the other applications that I now have to do.

1 comment:

Annika said...

I want to say something kind and encouraging and uplifting all at once. So I'm trying to come up with the perfect thing to say. But I don't know what that is, and seriously? That's a lot of pressure.

I'm sorry you didn't get in. I hope you find a great alternative. I never liked Albany anyway! There's another bottle of wine here if you run out.

One of those things is not true. (Hint: I like Albany just fine.)

I'm rambling just enough that I don't know how to make myself stop.